Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS)
Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) provides services and supports to help people with long-lasting health problems or disabilities stay in their homes and communities. Long-term care services include help doing everyday tasks like bathing, dressing, getting around the house, making meals or doing household chores.
At Amerigroup, our number one priority is to help our members get the care needed to live in the comforts of their own home as independently as possible, for as long as possible. We do this through in-home assessments and personal care plans. Each member has a Care Manager to help with getting services and coordinating benefits.
Is MLTSS right for you or your loved one?
MLTSS is for individuals who meet:
- Financial requirements — including monthly income and assets. Learn more about financial eligibility
- Clinical requirements — qualifies for nursing home level of care
- Age and/or disability requirements
- Age 65 years or older; or
- Under age 65 and blind or disabled
What you get with Amerigroup
Below is a partial list of Amerigroup Managed Long Term Services and Supports benefits. Some services have limits. Read the MLTSS companion guide for more information.
- Home-based supportive care — help with household chores or errands like doing laundry, making meals, light housekeeping or grocery shopping
- Home-delivered meals for members 18 years or older — nutritional meals mailed to your home
- Personal emergency response system for members 18 years or older — a call button so you can get help in an emergency when your caregiver isn’t around
- In-home respite care — services provided on a short-term basis to members who can’t care for themselves
- Inpatient respite care — a short stay in a nursing home or assisted care living facility so your caregiver can get a break
- Home modifications — certain changes to your home that will help you get around easier and safer, like grab bars or a wheelchair ramp
- Vehicle modifications — medically necessary vehicle modification (such as electronic monitoring systems to improve personal safety, mechanical lifts to make access possible) to your vehicle or a family vehicle
- Assisted care living facility — a group of supportive personal and health services, chore services, drug administration, occasional skilled nursing services, available 24 hours a day
- Assisted living program — delivery of assisted living services if you live in certain public housing
- Adult family care — allows up to three unrelated members to live in a trained caregiver’s home. He or she provides support and health services for these members.
For some services, you may need a doctor’s order and/or approval from Amerigroup before you get them. Your Care Manager can assist you with getting these services.
Behavioral health care
Members enrolled in MLTSS, Fully Integrated Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (FIDE-SNP) and clients of the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) have access to behavioral health care completely through managed care. These services include:
Acute partial hospitalization
Adult mental health rehabilitation
Outpatient mental health services
Acute inpatient psychiatric hospitalization
Medication Assisted Treatment
Partial care/psychiatric partial hospitalization
Substance use disorder services — including outpatient, intensive outpatient, partial care, ambulatory withdrawal management, short-term residential and detoxification services
Amerigroup also provides behavioral health services in an acute care inpatient setting for all NJ FamilyCare members.
Managing all the moving pieces of your care can be overwhelming. Our Care Management team works to help make health care less complicated. We manage all of your physical health, behavioral health and long-term care services. This is called care coordination.
Your Care Manager
You’ll have your own Care Manager who will get to know you, your family and your care team. Your Care Manager will visit with you in person to help you:
- Get the right kind of long-term care services in the right setting for you
- Get the medical supplies and equipment you need
- Find doctors and other resources close to home
- Make sure you have all the information you need to make good choices about your care
Your care team
Your care team is everyone involved in your care — your Care Manager, your doctors, your family, your supporters and most importantly, you! We’ll work together to help you manage your health.
Your care plan
You’ll get a care plan designed just for you. You and your Care Manager will work together to figure out the care and services you need to help you meet your health care goals.
Your health plan support
Our team of experienced nurses, social workers and behavioral health clinicians know the community, so they can help you learn about resources available to you. They can help you understand your treatment options and how you can get the most from your benefits.
We want you to understand your benefits and receive the best possible care. Here are some resources to help.
- Member handbook — English
- Member handbook — Spanish
- Behavioral Health Services — English
- Behavioral Health Services — Spanish
MLTSS companion guide
Personal Care Manager
Your Care Manager is here to answer your questions and work with your providers to make sure that you have the right care at the right time. To reach your Care Manager, call 1-855-661-1996 (TTY 711). You can call Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time.
24-hour Nurse HelpLine
If you have medical questions and cannot reach your Care Manager, you can always call our 24-hour Nurse HelpLine and speak directly to a nurse. Call 1-800-600-4441 (TTY 711) anytime, day or night.
Not yet a member?
Call 1-855-661-1996 (TTY 711) to find out more about MLTSS and how to enroll with Amerigroup.
We can help you live your best life.