Texas CHIP Perinatal Benefits
Your baby’s health is important, and we’re here to help you stay focused on it. CHIP Perinatal services, under the CHIP program, offer health-care benefits to unborn children of pregnant women who can’t get Medicaid or traditional CHIP due to income or immigration status. To be eligible for CHIP Perinatal benefits through Amerigroup, you must live in our service area and be:
- A pregnant woman
- Ineligible for Medicaid
- Without other private health insurance
CHIP Perinatal service areas
Amerigroup offers CHIP Perinatal in these service areas:
Not sure of your service area? Visit our Know Your Service Area page.
What you get with Amerigroup
Visits to the doctor
CHIP Perinatal benefits include:
- A perinatal care doctor
- Access to perinatal specialists when referred by your perinatal care doctor
- Up to 20 prenatal visits
- Prescriptions and prenatal vitamins
- Labor and delivery
- Two visits for the mother after the baby is born
- Regular checkups, immunizations, and prescriptions for the baby after the baby is born
There are no copays for covered services. See your member handbook for a full list of benefits in your plan.
Extra benefits just for Amerigroup members
We’re about more than just doctor visits. These free extra benefits are designed to make a difference in your life:
- myStrength™ secure website and mobile app to help improve your mental and emotional health, anytime you need it
- Rides to:
- Woman, Infants, and Children (WIC) offices
- Member Advisory Group meetings
- Cellphone or smartphone with monthly minutes, data, and texts
- 24-hour Nurse HelpLine ― nurses available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your health questions
Your benefits include a wide range of prescription drugs. We work with Express Scripts (ESI) to provide these benefits.
You don’t have pharmacy copays.
Visit the Pharmacy page to find a pharmacy near you and check if your medicine is covered.
Some treatment, care, or services may need our approval before your doctor can provide them. This is called preapproval. Your doctor will work directly with us to get the approval.
You will need preapproval for:
- Most surgeries, including some outpatient surgeries
- All elective and nonurgent inpatient services and admissions
- Certain prescriptions
- Genetic testing
- Out-of-area or out-of-network care except in an emergency
- Advanced imaging (things like MRAs, MRIs, CT scans, and CTA scans)
Preapproval is not needed for emergency services directly related to the delivery of the unborn child (CHIP Perinatal member) until birth.
This list is subject to change without notice and isn’t a complete list of covered plan benefits. Learn more about your benefits by:
- Reading your member handbook
- Calling Member Services with questions about specific services
We want you to understand your benefits and receive the best possible care. Here are some resources to help.
Additional benefit information can be found in your member handbook.
If you have any questions, call Member Services at 1-800-600-4441 (TTY 711). Our team is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time.
24-hour Nurse HelpLine
Whether it’s 3 a.m. or a Sunday afternoon, health issues come up. That’s why you can always call our
24-hour Nurse HelpLine and speak directly to a nurse.
Call 1-800-600-4441 (TTY 711) anytime, day or night, even on weekends and holidays.