Texas STAR+PLUS Benefits
You have unique health needs and we want to help you get the care and support you need to live as independently as possible. STAR+PLUS is a Texas Medicaid managed care program for people who have disabilities or are age 65 or older. Amerigroup is proud to offer STAR+PLUS benefits to people who live in our service area, are approved for Medicaid, and meet at least one of the following:
- Age 21 or older and get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits
- Don’t get SSI, but are able to get STAR+PLUS Home and Community-Based Waiver Services
- Age 21 or older and get Medicaid through Social Security Exclusion programs
- Age 21 or older and live in a nursing home
- Get services through the Medicaid Breast and Cervical Cancer (MBCC) program
STAR+PLUS service areas
Amerigroup offers STAR+PLUS in these service areas:
- El Paso
- Rural Service Area – West
Not sure of your service area? Visit our Know Your Service Area page.
What you get with Amerigroup
There are no copays for covered services.
- Primary care provider (PCP) visits
- Prescription drugs
- Specialist visits
- Hospital care
- Preventive care
- Urgent care
- Emergency care
- Lab and X-ray services
- Behavioral health care (mental health and substance abuse services)
If you have both Medicare and Medicaid, Medicare will provide your acute care benefits.
See your member handbook for a full list of benefits in your plan.
You may need help with everyday tasks like dressing yourself, preparing meals, light housekeeping, or personal care. Our service coordinators can help you get the long-term services and supports you need to live in your own home or community. The kind of long‐term services and supports benefits you can get is based on your category of Medicaid eligibility. Your member handbook can tell you about the available benefits.
In order to get long-term services and supports, you must first meet with your service coordinator to talk about the kinds of help you may need. To speak with a service coordinator, call Member Services at 1-800-600-4441 (TTY 711).
Service coordination helps make sure all your care and services are working together. By communicating regularly with you and your providers, service coordinators help to keep everyone involved in your care informed of your needs and goals. Your service coordinator will work with you and your primary care provider to help you get needed services. He or she will also:
- Visit you at your home to learn about your health needs and goals and help create your service plan.
- Help you make appointments to see your providers and help you get covered services when you need them.
- Help you get authorizations for needed services.
- Coordinate all of the services you get from us and other providers and community organizations.
- Encourage you to take part in your care, so you can stay healthy and live independently.
You can have a service coordinator if you ask for one. We may also assign one after we look at your health and support needs. If you think you need a service coordinator or if you’d like to speak with one, call Member Services at 1-800-600-4441 (TTY 711).
Many people use long term services and supports for help with daily activities.
Consumer directed services means that you, or someone you choose, coordinate (or direct) your health-care services, not the insurance company.
Learn more about consumer directed services.
If you live in a nursing facility, most of your care will come from the nursing facility. Services include:
Daily care services, like:
- Room and board
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Personal needs items
- Social services
- Over-the-counter drugs
Nursing facility add-on services, which include:
- Emergency dental services
- Physician ordered-rehabilitative services
- Augmentative communication devices
- Customized power wheelchairs
Your costs for STAR+PLUS
You pay nothing except the monthly applied income amount you pay to the nursing facility.
If you have Medicare, we pay your percentage of the costs for a Medicare-covered stay for nursing facility daily care services. Your Medicare plan or Texas Medicaid pays your percentage of the costs for nursing facility add-on services.
- If you’re a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) STAR+PLUS Waiver (SPW) member, talk to your service coordinator about dental services.
- If you have Medicare, contact your plan to learn about dental services.
- If you only have Medicaid and aren’t a SPW member, we only cover emergency dental services.
Amerigroup offers vision care through Superior Vision of Texas. To find an eye doctor and learn about covered services, call Superior Vision of Texas at 1-800-428-8789 or go to the Superior Vision website.
If you have both Medicare and Medicaid, contact your Medicare plan for your vision benefits.
You can get no-cost rides to your health-care appointments through the Medical Transportation Program (MTP). MTP can help with rides to the doctor, dentist, hospital, drug store, and any other place you get Medicaid services. You should schedule your ride at least 2 days before your appointment.
Call LogistiCare at 1-855-687-3255 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Call Medical Transportation Management (MTM) at 1-855-687-4786 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
All other areas of Texas
Call MTP at 1-877-633-8747 (1-877-MED-TRIP) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Transportation benefit does not apply to nursing facility members.
We’re about more than just doctor visits. Starting September 1st, 2019, you can get these free extra benefits, designed to help support you:
- myStrength™ secure website and mobile app to help improve your mental and emotional health, anytime you need it
- Earn Healthy Rewards debit card dollars to use at local stores for doing healthy activities like getting certain checkups or treatments
- Rides to:
- Medical visits when the HHSC Medical Transportation Program isn’t available (Medicare members will get rides for Medicaid covered long-term services and supports visits)
- Pregnancy, birthing, or newborn classes for pregnant members
- Woman, Infants, and Children (WIC) offices
- Member Advisory Group meetings
- Cellphone or smartphone with monthly minutes, data, and texts
- Pest control services once every 3 months
- First aid kit when you complete a personal disaster plan online. Call the Member Services number on the back of your member ID card for more information.
- Plastic/polycarbonate eyeglass lenses every 36 months
- Help from a nurse, day or night, to answer your health questions with our 24-hour Nurse HelpLine
- Respite care hours so family members and caregivers can take a break
- Up to 20 home-delivered meals after getting out of a hospital or nursing facility
- Personal exercise kit
- Dental hygiene kit for members
- Taking Care of Baby and Me® program for pregnant women and new moms
- We’ll cover the cost of your General Education Diploma (GED) test for members age 18 and older.
You can find specific benefit details, including exclusions and limitations, in your member handbook.
Sign up for our Real Solutions® Healthy Rewards program and earn debit card dollars for completing healthy activities, like getting certain checkups or screenings.
- $20 each year getting a flu (influenza) vaccination
- $20 for a member diagnosed with major depression who is newly treated with antidepressant medication and continues the medication for 12 weeks (84 days)
- $20 for a member diagnosed with major depression who is newly treated with antidepressant medication and continues the medication for 6 months (180 days)
For members with diabetes
- $20 each year for having a retinopathy eye exam (ages 18-75)
- $20 every 6 months for getting a blood sugar test (HbA1c)
- $20 every 6 months for getting a blood sugar test (HbA1c) with a result less than 8
For pregnant members
- $25 for getting a prenatal checkup in the first trimester of pregnancy or within 42 days of joining
- $50 for getting a postpartum checkup within 21 to 56 days after giving birth
Create your account at www.myamerigroup.com/HealthyRewards or call 1-877-868-2004 (TTY 711).
You can find specific benefit details, including exclusions and limitations, in the member handbook. Members with Medicare are not eligible for Healthy Rewards.
STAR+PLUS Medicaid/Medicare (Dual) members
If you have both Medicare and Medicaid, contact your Medicare Part D plan to learn more about pharmacy benefits.
STAR+PLUS Medicaid (Non-Dual) members
Your benefits include a wide range of prescription drugs. We work with IngenioRx to provide these pharmacy benefits.
You do not have pharmacy copays.
Visit the Pharmacy page to find a pharmacy near you and check if your medicine is covered.
Some treatment, care, or services may need our approval before your doctor can provide them. This is called preapproval. Your doctor will work directly with us to get the approval.
You will need preapproval for:
- Most surgeries, including some outpatient surgeries
- All elective and nonurgent inpatient services and admissions
- Chiropractic services
- Most behavioral health and substance abuse services (except routine outpatient and emergency services)
- Certain prescriptions
- Certain durable medical equipment, including prosthetics and orthotics
- Certain gastroenterology procedures
- Digital hearing aids
- Home health services
- Hospice services
- Rehabilitation therapy (physical, occupational, respiratory, and speech therapies)
- Genetic testing
- Sleep studies
- Out-of-area or out-of-network care except in an emergency
- Advanced imaging (things like MRAs, MRIs, CT scans, and CTA scans)
- Certain pain management testing and procedures
- Long-term services and supports
This list is subject to change without notice and isn’t a complete list of covered plan benefits. Learn more about your benefits by:
- Reading your member handbook
- Calling Member Services with questions about specific services
You may need to see a specialist or another provider for care or services that your primary care provider can’t give you. You don’t need a referral from your primary care provider to get care from other doctors in our plan. This includes behavioral health services, OB/GYN care, and family planning. It’s a good idea to talk to your primary care provider first about other types of care you may need. He or she can tell you about other doctors in our plan and help you coordinate the care you receive.
We put tools and technology in your hands to make it easy to get care and services. Your Service Plan is an easy-to-use, online tool that helps you stay connected with your service coordinator or case manager. It lets you:
- Get your service coordinator or case manager’s phone number and email address
- Send your service coordinator or case manager secure messages about your diagnoses, goals, medicines, services, and more
- View your goals and objectives
- Check due dates and status for goals and objectives
To use this tool:
- Choose Continue to your Service Plan below
- Log in or register first if you don't have an account
We want you to understand your benefits and receive the best possible care. Here are some resources to help.
Your health care benefits may come from Medicare, Medicaid, or a waiver
program. This booklet provides a quick summary of your benefits and which program provides them.
Member HandbookAdditional benefit information can be found in your member handbook.
Medicaid (Non-Dual) Members
Medicaid/Medicare (Dual) Members
- Medicaid/Medicare (Dual) Member Handbook – English
- Medicaid/Medicare (Dual) Member Handbook – Spanish
Nursing Facility Members
- STAR+PLUS Nursing Facility Member Handbook – English
- STAR+PLUS Nursing Facility Member Handbook – Spanish
If you have any questions, call Member Services at 1‐800‐600‐4441 (TTY 711). Our team is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time.
24-hour Nurse HelpLine
Whether it’s 3 a.m. or a Sunday afternoon, health issues come up. That’s why you can always call our
24-hour Nurse HelpLine and speak directly to a nurse.
Call 1‐800‐600‐4441 (TTY 711) anytime, day or night, even on weekends and holidays.