Nonemergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) services for STAR, STAR Kids, and STAR+PLUS members
No-cost rides through Amerigroup Medicaid benefits help make it easier for you to go to your health-care services. We can help with rides to the doctor, dentist, hospital, pharmacy, and any other place you receive Medicaid services.
Can I schedule a ride?
To schedule a ride through Amerigroup, you cannot have any other means of transportation. You must also be enrolled in Texas Medicaid. NEMT services do not include ambulance trips. STAR+PLUS nursing facility members have limited benefits — the nursing facility will provide most of your transportation needs.
How do I schedule a ride?
You should request NEMT services as early as possible. Call us at least two working days before you need a ride. If you need to travel out of town, or out of your service area, please call us at least five working days before you need a ride. You can request a NEMT service with less than 48 hours’ notice in certain situations such as:
• Being picked up after being discharged from a hospital.
• Trips to the pharmacy to pick up medication or approved medical supplies.
• Trips for urgent conditions; an urgent condition is a health condition that is not an emergency but is severe or painful enough to need treatment within 24 hours.
Visit the Know your service area page under the Apply tab if you need to know about the location of your service area.
NEMT Services line
Amerigroup will use our transportation vendor, Access2Care*, to arrange all travel. To schedule a trip, call the NEMT Services line number below for your membership type:
STAR: 833-721-8184 (TTY 711)
STAR+PLUS: 844-867-2837 (TTY 711)
STAR Kids: 844-864-2443 (TTY 711)
You can call Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time, except for state-approved holidays. If you do not speak English, we can help you in many other languages, including Spanish.
“Where’s My Ride?”
When you are waiting on transportation from us, whether going or returning on a scheduled trip, you can call the NEMT Services line. Pick the “Where’s My Ride?” option to find out the status of your ride. You can call between 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time Monday through Saturday or any time you are waiting for a scheduled ride.
Use the Access2Care Mobile AppFind the app using a search for Access2Care or A2C. With the Access2Care mobile app, you can:
• Schedule a new trip or view scheduled trips
• View trip details
• Cancel a trip
• Call Access2Care or the transportation provider
* Access2Care is an independent company providing transportation services on behalf of Amerigroup. More information about Access2Care is available at Access2Care
Amerigroup gives you extra transportation benefits. We can help with rides for:
- Family members to travel with you on NEMT trips
- Pregnancy, birthing, or newborn classes
- WIC offices
- Member Advisory Group meetings
Call Member Services at 800-600-4441 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time. STAR Kids members, call 844-756-4600 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time.
Amerigroup can help with rides to:
• Doctor visits for members with chronic illnesses
• Pregnancy, birthing, or newborn classes
• WIC offices
• Member Advisory Group meetings
Call Member Services at 800-600-4441 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time.
You can find specific benefit details, including exclusions and limitations, in your member handbook. The most current version is on the Member Resources page of this website under the Benefits tab.